2015年4月1日星期三

How to Make Steamed Pork Dumplings


It only takes about 30 minutes to prepare and cook dumplings if you have dumpling wrappers ready for you. So...for someone like me, I used to buy the wrappers instead of making it by myself. 

I use wonton wrappers in the following recipe, since they are easy to get in the nearby Walmart. Wonton wrappers are thinner, and they are great for steaming. However, if you want to eat boiled dumplings, you might want to consider sticking with dumpling wrappers. Wonton wrappers can hardly remain the shape in water, and I guess that is probably why wontons is usually stuffed with less meat. 

But if you want to have wonton soup, that is a different story...Nevertheless, in this blog, we are going to talk about steamed pork dumplings. 




Ingredients for the filling:

1 pound ground pork
1 egg
2-3 spring onions
1 tbsp diced garlic (or garlic powder)
1 tbsp diced ginger
1 tbsp salt





STEP 1


Dice 1 tbsp ginger, 1 tbsp garlic, and 3 spring onions. I only used one spring onion, but two or three would make the dumplings more tasty.


STEP 2


Combine 1 pound ground pork with ginger, garlic, spring onions, egg, and 1 tbsp salt. You could also add garlic powder here, if you happen to run out of garlic like I did.

Stir together all the ingredients.



STEP 3

Wrap the dumplings!

There is a video online which shows how to wrap dumplings in
7 different ways. 


I really wanted to try all of them...but for the time's sake, I wrapped my dumplings like how I used to...

My grandma taught me this, and it actually applies to the square wonton wrappers pretty well. 







For the square shape,
such a way can wrap a lot, actually.



STEP 4

After water begins to boil,
steam for 15 minutes.




STEP 5

Serve with a dipping sauce.


Basically, back home in China, people dip dumplings into rice vinegar and have them. The vinegar can be added with some diced ginger or garlic, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp oil, and other things like chili powder or sesame seeds.


Lastly,
 if you still want to eat dumplings for the next meal, simply wrap more and put them in the freezer. Before next meal, 
take them out, 
and you could steam or fry right away.
   









10 条评论:

  1. These look sooo good; I'm hungry just looking at the pictures. I have never made dumplings before, would you recommend them to a beginner chef?

    回复删除
  2. Mei...you make it really hard to follow a diet, but I am glad to see someone with such passion for anything :)

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Haha, thanks! By the way, you could also try vegetable dumplings if you are following a diet!

      删除
  3. I'm definitely going to have to try this! I once tried to use wonton wrappers to make crab Rangoon... complete failure. I am drawn to the thinness of the wrapper, though, because I don't like much breading and these would allow you to really taste the food inside!

    回复删除
  4. Your pictures, videos, and detail make it so helpful to follow along throughout the process. Another great food I would love to try and cook!

    回复删除
  5. I don't think I've ever had dumplings, but you make them look so delicious that I'll have to try them.

    回复删除
  6. Just looking at this step-by-step makes me so hungry it's ridiculous. I really want to try experimenting with the various fillings.

    回复删除
  7. Wow these look great! I've never tried these but I definitely want to now! Great pictures throughout the blog for each step!

    回复删除
  8. Step-by-step instructions, you are a clearly a wonderful chef. Have I ever mentioned these posts make me hungry?!

    回复删除